Thursday, December 30, 2010

Second-hand Hurt

I was watching you through the window
drinking your beer
sitting alone outside today
while I played
“Everything I Own” real loud and sung along and drank my red wine inside
and then you came in to say
that you’d just shared a drink with her
and that’s okay
but when you say these things
it brings it home
that every minute of every hour
you’re aching for her
and your pain gets passed on to me
through your sad eyes
and I realise
that this second-hand hurt
that I am given
is harder to cope with than my own grief
and I would give
everything I own
to bring you relief
but it is my belief
the best I could do
was to continue to swig from my wine bottle’s neck
and heck
share a drink with you too

3 comments:

  1. Mel, this is better than almost all of mine. I love it. And I hate it.

    Damn all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo - I hasten to add, or clarify - it's not 'cause I'm envious that I hate it! It's the situation and how nailed it is, here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an amazing compliment. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete