Thursday, August 15, 2013

Public Transport




Our thighs touch
in a moment of unrequested contact
that could last, I estimate, approximately 42 minutes
I consider not moving my body at all
because
why should I?
I was here first
but I can’t bear to leave our legs pressing together any longer
so I wiggle closer to the window
creating much needed space
between
myself and a middle-aged man
who emits a mixture of middle-management and stale deodorant
and entitlement
specifically
to a section of my seat
that I paid $5:13 for
(which, as an aside,  seems equal parts exorbitant and weirdly antiquated in an age of decimal currency)
“excuse me” I say
as I get up
because my stop approaches
he makes no effort to move
he still encroaches
so I take great delight
in pushing past
at last
doors open
I’m out








1 comment:

  1. This poem is very difficult to read, due to conflicting emotions. I want to menace that guy. I'm envious of the opportunity he had, and furious at him for botching it!

    People seriously do not cherish the opportunities they have just to be decent people. Such clowns should be MENACED

    ReplyDelete