Saturday, November 20, 2010

Store-bought Philosophy

I’ve been out stocking up
and replenishing supplies
I’ve learnt a key lesson
in front of my eyes
My Coke was on sale
but on the top shelf
so I tippied on my toes
and said to myself
“I can get to this elixir
I have reached the top before
I only have to persevere
that’s what tenacity’s for”
So I strained and I stretched
and pulled a muscle or three
but the carton came closer
as I gently tugged it towards me
I am able to get the tips
of my fingers on both sides
and use a little pressure
on the carton 'til it slides
closer to the edge
where I can get a firmer grip
and hold it above my head
while hoping it doesn't slip
I was dizzy but well pleased
when I slowly got it down
with it safely in my arms
I went to turn around
It was then that I realised
I’d had an audience
A man had been watching
in awe-inspired silence
“That really was well done”
the man said to me
“Oh, I’m used to it,” I said
“A life of stretching, you see”
I looked back at the shelves
as I went to walk away
to check just once more
the price I'd have to pay
That’s when I finally noticed
rows of Coke cartons lower down
I need not have struggled!
Man, I felt like such a clown
But then it did occur to me that
I might as well get some more
It was such a good deal they had
and I was already in the store
So I grabbed another three more cartons
and it also then did occur to me
how I had made the task harder for myself
than it had actually ever needed to be
I had expected that it would be a stretch
so I never bothered to look at eye-line
Sometimes life is simple and straightforward
(but this sweet, sweet Coke is mine)



No comments:

Post a Comment