Saturday, January 12, 2013

Heaven

Arms and legs splayed out
as if to make a snow angel
limbs weightless
you drift untethered in space
an enormous visor obscures your face
but in its reflection the shuttle can be seen
and I imagine conspiracy theorists
searching the image for signs of a set-up
a Hollywood studio concoction
sanctioned by the government
to pull a swifty on the people
but I believe you
swam
completely and utterly devoid of any attachment to Earth
and I wonder if you would have minded
if you couldn’t have made your way back
destined to slow-spiral forever
like a plastic bag on a windy day
“to touch the face of God” they say
well, I’m not sure he is that close
or even that far away

5 comments:

  1. I keep reading this.

    Later I come back and read it more. And with never a thing I can meaningfully add. It is stange and frustrating to me, given how the image shocks like a deja vu, like a recurring but always straightaway awake-and-fade dream. I know I never actually had this dream. Deja vu is a memory-sensory malfunction. It is not a combination of precognition and amnesia.

    I'm afraid, in the falsely-recovered memory of this place. Yet deeper than the memory, I know that in the dream, I am not afraid. Never afraid.

    My waking mind knows it's all just tricks of brain-lightning. I insist I've never been there. I insist I won't go back. The former is just fact. The latter is (I think) what scares me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both the poem and the comment are amazing poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Jen.

    Hm, have I ripped off this comment yet for repurposal as poetry?

    ReplyDelete