Friday, January 11, 2013

One Sixteenth Greek

We throw compliments back and forth between ourselves
like a bottle of wine being passed around a circle of friends
taking turns to swig
we make sincere and sweet and supportive statements
the essence and elixir of friendship
and we teach ourselves to swallow the other’s good opinion of us
and we learn to trust we each mean what the others say about us
and we learn not to listen to the voice that says
“they’re just saying that”
these words are powerful
these words bolster
make us believe
we are what others see we are
and some unexpected compliments stay with me
and puncture through my doubt and disbelief
when you told me my hands look pretty when I talk
you made me feel like the most beautiful girl
that ever gesticulated









1 comment:

  1. I'M ONE-SIXTEENTH GREEK!

    Wait. Grandpa Jim - half-Greek. His dad? ALL Greek. My dad? One-fourth Greek. Me? ONE EIGHTH GREEK.

    BOO YAH! FOR YOUR FACE! I demand a miscount.

    ReplyDelete