Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Weight

I found the notepad I wrote in
leading up to her death
where I kept a record of my weight loss

I was disappearing
in incremental stages
the numbers ticking backwards
I remember being fascinated
and wondering just how far I'd fade
the last entry made the day before she died


I wish when I die
to leave no trace
no shift in the air
nor imprint on a pillow
or even a memory in another's mind
no clothes in a cupboard
no hair in a brush
no half-read book on a bedside table
I wish it to be as if I was never there
or here
so when I get to my end
like numbers on a page
I just count backwards to nowhere








2 comments:

  1. Terrible and thrilling like a sick fascination with cliffs. And the part where you count off your disappearance is sadder than the world ever was. Terrific, in a sense almost gone from the word.

    I want to leave a hole the size of the future I saw coming into view and reach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your beautifully-poetic comment.

      Delete