Thursday, October 14, 2010

Jacaranda

A carpet of colour
covers the town
signalling spring’s slow segue into summer
Shrugging off winter’s muted tones
Squinting against the overexposed light
like a photo developed in the dark to reveal a saturation of life
Soon we’ll seek shade for our skin
while sunlight sprinkles down, leaving dappled patterns on exposed limbs
There’s a Monet in our midst called mother nature
and she paints for us the same picture each season
so we can reminisce on days spent
threading flower chains
underneath a canopy that sheds
dollops of paint like purple rain




































3 comments:

  1. LOVELY, MEL!

    Now that's a free verse photoessay odyssey!

    Oh my gosh look at all these other new poems. This one caught my eye as I popped in on the way to work, but I will need to give these others a steep later when I have time. Yay, dodgy poetry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ta! You know, I've always loved this city, but I fell in love with it while taking these pics. How about that.

    Your S.F one is epic! I would have given it a constellation, but blogger limited me to five stars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that Brisbane? It's beautiful, whatever it is!

    Hey, I need to ask, should I be giving you a photo credit on that photo of the bridge? You took that one, right?

    ReplyDelete