Sunday, March 14, 2010

3rd May, 1969: A Few Words on Forty Years

Once again, like all those years ago, there you are, a vision in white
Only this time there is no lace, no flowing veil, no flowers in sight

Just a stark clean sheet covering your far too familiar face
And though I walk right beside you, between us is an impenetrable, infinite space.

It lies between us now, forever gaping, I must remain here as they take you away
From the house where we were united since we vowed to love, honour and obey.

The same threshold I carried you over you must now travel back across on your own
For love never comes with lifetime guarantees, it’s only given to us on loan.

It doesn’t seem so very long ago that we were young and starting our life
You were my partner, and though I never said it, a soul mate, as well as wife.

You took your last breathe on the same date as your first, quite a circle you created there my sweet
And eventually one day, as is yours, my story too will be complete.

You never made it to your Winter, but then again, you never did like the cold
So I’ve had to make up news plans, discard the ones of us together growing old

Then the rain comes and the lily blooms and we who remain believe you’re back for a while
And it keeps you alive, a part our ritual, to make sure your memory makes us smile.

And our youngest, who has my eyes and your hair, asks “Is it better to have loved and then lost?”
And I tell her truthfully that I wouldn’t change a single moment even if being alone now is what it cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment